Warhammer Gaming Rejects RP community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warhammer Gaming Rejects RP community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com

Go down 
+3
cow-man
Faelwen
Local Bat Enthusiast
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Faelwen

"Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-22, 14:25

Glitterati
plural noun
-wealthy or famous people who conspicuously or ostentatiously attend fashionable events.
Back to top Go down
Nazamroth
Admin
Nazamroth

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-22, 14:27

OOC. how do you even decide which word to showcase anyway? o.O
Back to top Go down
https://warhammerrejects.forumotion.com
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-22, 14:31

I know it seems like a tough decision, but Dictionary.Reference.com literally picks a word out every day after midnight and on the app shows it to me some time after 9:00 A.M.
it's interesting seeing which word it picks out each day
like there was a word for the time between Christmas and New Year's but I didn't share because I was a lazy ass (it was on Christmas day)
(also I believe the word was Christmastide)
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-23, 13:45

Brolly
noun
-British Informal. an umbrella.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-24, 14:45

Demassify
verb
-to break (something standardized or homogeneous) into smaller elements that appeal to individual tastes or special interests
-to cause (society or a social system) to become less uniform or centralized; diversify or decentralize
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-25, 13:49

Pickwickian
adjective
-(of words or ideas) meant or understood in a sense different from the apparent or usual one.
-(of the use or interpretation of an expression) intentionally or unintentionally odd or unusual.
-of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Mr. Pickwick, central character of The Pickwick Papers.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-26, 14:20

Inutile
adjective
-of no use or service

Last edited by Faelwen on 2015-02-26, 14:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : it came out wrong)
Back to top Go down
Nazamroth
Admin
Nazamroth

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-26, 14:24

OOC. ...wait.... you just found a word to describe me!
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-26, 14:28

Glad to be of service
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-27, 13:42

ad hockery
noun
-reliance on temporary solutions rather than on consistent, long-term plans.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-02-28, 20:53

Butyraceous
-of the nature of, resembling, or containing butter.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-01, 17:51

Emblem
noun
-an object orits representation, symbolizing a quality, state, class of persons, etc.; symbol
-a sign, design, or figure that identifies or represents something
-an allegorical picture, often inscribed with a motto supplemental to the visual image with which it forms a single unit of meaning.
-Obsolete. an inlaid or tessellated ornament.
verb
-to represent with an emblem.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-02, 14:38

Switcheroo
noun
-an unexpected or sudden change or reversal in attitude, character, position, action, etc.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-03, 13:49

Variorum
adjective
-containing different versions of the text by various editors
-containing many notes and commentaries by a number of scholars or critics
noun
-a variorum edition or text.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-04, 14:22

Sastruga
noun
-usually, sastrugi, ridges of snow formed on a snowfield by the action of the wind.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-06, 01:41

Eyesome
adjective
Archaic. pleasant to look at
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-06, 13:46

Circumvolve
verb
-to revolve or wind about.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-08, 03:31

Phillumenist
noun
-a collector of matchbooks and matchboxes
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-08, 18:37

Chronometer
noun
-a timepiece or timing device with a special mechanism for assuring and adjusting, for use in determining longitude at sea or for any purpose where very exact measurement of time is required.
-any timepiece, especially a wristwatch, designed for the highest accuracy
Back to top Go down
Nazamroth
Admin
Nazamroth

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-08, 18:47

"measurement of time"
....i feel like i must correct the dictionary...
There is no such thing. You can only "measure" the passage of time(even that, only indirectly, through physical events), not its current value because it has no such thing.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-08, 23:18

Well I don't know what to say, it's the exact sefonition
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-09, 13:15

Formication (and before you guys say anything reread the word there)
noun
-a tactile hallucination involving the belief that something is crawling on the body or under the skin.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-10, 12:41

Magniloquent
adjective
-lofty or grandiose in speech or expression; using a high-flown style of discourse; bombastic.
-speaking or expressing in a lofty or grandoise style; pompous; bombastic; boastful.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-11, 12:41

Momism
noun
-excessive adulation of the mother and undue dependence on maternal care or protection, resulting in absence or loss of maturity and independence.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-12, 14:14

Spondulicks
noun
-Older Slang. money; cash.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-13, 20:32

Intenerate
verb
-to make soft or tender; soften
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-14, 23:35

Dysphemism
noun
-the substitution of a harsh, disparaging, or unpleasant expression for a more neutral one.
-an expression so substituted
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-15, 18:07

Knackered
adjective
-British Slang. exhausted; very tired
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-16, 12:44

Collywobbles
noun
-Informal. a feeling of fear, apprehension, or nervousness
-Informal. intestinal cramps or other intestinal disturbances
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-17, 12:45

Brogue
noun
-an Irish accent in the pronunciation of English.
-any strong regional accent.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-18, 13:58

Beamish
adjective
-bright, cheerful, and optimistic.
Back to top Go down
Nazamroth
Admin
Nazamroth

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-18, 14:03

That, or teleporting onto the enterprise... or just generally being fired upon by directed energy weapons/tools/etc...
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-18, 14:30

"Beamish"? I know the root word is " beam" but the word wouldn't make sense in those cases
(aka I get your joke and decided to logic)
Back to top Go down
Nazamroth
Admin
Nazamroth

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-18, 14:31

actually, nevermind... i read "beaming" for some reason...
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-18, 14:32

A simple misunderstanding
If it were "beaming" I would've wrote all the definitions of it
Back to top Go down
Nazamroth
Admin
Nazamroth

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-18, 16:12

OOC. ah, good ol' racist family.... cant appreciate some black humor if they are its subject...
probably instantly lost the bonus favour points we got for finally installing the TV in the kitchen...
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-19, 13:35

Amain
adverb
-Archaic. with full force.
-Archaic. at full speed.
-Archaic. suddenly; hastily.
-Archaic. exceedingly; greatly.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-20, 13:32

An thesis
noun
-Botany. the period or act of expansion in flowers, especially the maturing of the stamens.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-21, 14:58

Mal de mar
noun
-French. seasickness

why did this come up you ask?
-I don't know, it was the "word" of the day
Back to top Go down
Nazamroth
Admin
Nazamroth

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-21, 15:03

Its not like "vice versa", "bon appetite" and the like are english, yet they are considered part of the language
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-21, 15:11

OOC yeah, just an odd randomized choice by the app
Back to top Go down
Nazamroth
Admin
Nazamroth

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-21, 15:15

although why english felt the need to adopt the french version and triple the number of word required to express sosmething they already had a wrod for, is beyond me.... then again, english is not known for its logic...
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-21, 16:32

fun fact: the english accent in America hasn't changed in the colonies, rather the english accent in Britain changed around the 90s
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-22, 12:48

Gibber
verb
-to speak in inarticulately or meaninglessly.
-to speak foolishly; chatter.
noun
-gibbering utterance
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-23, 15:53

nonevent
noun
-an occurrence of only superficial interest or content; a dull or insignificant occasion
-an event or situation that is anticipated but does not occur or occurs with much less than the expected impact, especially one that has been widely publicized; anticlimax
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-24, 12:47

furtherance
noun
-the act of furthering; promoting; advancement.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-25, 13:23

dendrochronolgy
noun
-the science dealing with the study of the annual rings of trees in determining the dates and chronological order of past events.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-26, 12:40

forsooth
adverb
-Archaic. (now used in derision to express disbelief) in truth; in fact; indeed.
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-27, 13:09

cantillate
verb
-to chant; intone
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-28, 13:44

pepper-upper
noun
-Informal. something, as a food, beverage, or pill, that provides a quick but temporary period of energy and alertness
-Informal. something added to food to relieve blandness
-Informal. an experience that increases enthusiasm or zeal, as a pep talk
Back to top Go down
Faelwen

Faelwen

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2015-03-29, 15:12

globular
adjective
-globe-shaped; spherical.
-composed of or having globules.
-worldwide; global.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com   "Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Word of the Day" as provided by Dictionary.Reference.com
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warhammer Gaming Rejects RP community :: Non-RP stuff :: Discoussions, arguments, announcements of arrival, etc. because I'm too lazy to look for people in every single topic...-
Jump to: