HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

An Age of Sails and Free Men

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:14

*Gideon returns to his ship and the hours pass slowly, and eventually nightfall comes. Leaving the port drenched in darkness, with nought but the crashing of the waves to fill the silent void.*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:15

before long, a thick, grey fog descends upon the port, so thick it's hard to see beyond the hull of your own ship

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:25

*There is little to be heard beyond a quiet bell rolling aboard Gideon's ship as his men are roused from their sleep*
Back to top Go down
Captain Raeven

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:36

*Khalista stands at the rail, by the 24 pound aft chaser. She kneels down, takes a leather pouch from her belt, and empties its contents on the deck. Rune stones scatter, and she begins to read them. more for comfort, and something to do, than a hope of reading any true meaning*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:44

Minutes pass, in eerie silence. Nothing happens, for long enough for it to be either worrying or calming, visibility being almost nil. Then suddenly, chaos.
A gout of flame is seen further down the port, about 100 meters to the right of gideon's ship. The flame engulfs the deck of a human ship docked at the port, 3rd rate ship of the line, largest ship in the port, immolating the entire main deck and all those upon it. Silhouetted against the flame, is a reptilian visage, sharp teeth, spines, like the fierce head of a ferocious dragon. The air fills with screams from the victims, until moments later they are drowned out. From just behind the dragon's head, flashes of light begin to illuminate the night, as the sound of cannonfire buries the cries of desperate and ding men, cannonballs ripping into other ships in the port. Other flashes emerge above the cannonfire, likely mortars, followed soon by explosions within the port itself. The flashes reveal, barely visible in the fog, the shape of a ship, large and armoured, not like anything you have ever seen before. Worse, due to the position of the ship, you are unable to fire upon it. The fog has allowed it to close with the 3rd rate undetected, and now it sits completely outside of the arcs of fire of your broadsides. The night is alive with cannonfire, screams, and explosions.

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:51

*Khalista puts her shoulder to the aft chaser, its backward facing allowing an arc of fire. She touches her palm to the touchhole, and ignites magefire within, jumping back, and covering her ears. The cannon roars, a 24 pound ball hurled towards the ship in the fog*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:53

if the shot has any effect, she can't see it. Fog's too thick. Meanwhile, the ship is tearing great holes out of many of the others in the port, resistance quickly being torn apart as it closes with the port itself. Onlookers can just about make out figures leaping from the ship onto the port itself

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:54

*Khalista's crew stand at the guns. waiting... waiting.*
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 01:54

"LOOSE THE MAINSAILS! AND CUT THE MOORINGS! NAGA SIGHTED!"
*All across the port men are streaming out of brothels and houses in various states of undress and running either toward their ships, or the ports own defensive emplacements. In minutes the port is soon returning fire, huge 42lb balls being launched toward the aggressor*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:00

Fire begins to ignite within the port due to one of the many mortar shells. The sound of fighting begins to echo out among the chaos from within the port, although the fog makes it impossible to see what's going on. Also due to the fog, any damage to the Naga cannot be seen...but moments later, the defensive emplacements go silent one by one. Meanwhile, on both of your ships, you hear the sound of footsteps right by where your ships are/were moored, and the sound of small arms fire, as one or two of your crew drop dead to flintlock balls.

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:04

"PREPARE TO REPEL BOARDERS! PORT SWIVELS OBLITERATE THAT DOCK!"
*On his command the swivel guns begin firing at the dock between Gideon and Khal's ships. Obliterating any would be attackers while musket armed men stand at the rails looking for targets*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:06

there are already boarders clambering up the side of the ship, a few making it over the top onto deck. They are Skeletal figures, clad in some form of plated armour you are unfamiliar with, armed with curved swords or with spears, along with a brace of pistols. They begin to engage your men with worrying ferocity, although they are greatly outnumbered, and you can tell your port guns did a number on them before they could get aboard.

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:08

OOC pic related
Spoiler:

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:10

*Men armed with boarding pikes and axes great them on the decks, and the musket armed crew members fall back and fix bayonets while the pikemen hold the line. Gideon stands with only a single sword drawn waiting for the Naga to catch fire or become a silhouette against the burning port as his ship gently drifts away from the docks*
Back to top Go down
Captain Raeven

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:37

*Khalistas crew are hardbitten fighters, coming from various gangs and pirate bands as it is. The only thing separating them from that being a uniform. No two men are armed the same, cutlasses, longswords, spears, axes, clubs, maces. anything that could be feasibly used to kill a man is present in some form. Ragged musket fire rains down on the boarders.*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:43

the fighting is however hard and tough, but the boarders are being bested bit by bit.
Moments later, there is another flash, this time from the defensive guns. You hear the impact pretty soon after, But it seems they are now firing on the moored ships rather than the Naga. The guns have been turned against you.

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:46

Khalista: *As a boarder comes at her, she simply raises her hand, and mutters a few words. A lance of eldritch energy leaps from her fingertips and strikes the boarder in the head. It imparts such force that he is sent cartwheeling over the rail.* "LOOSE THE SAIL! I DONT CARE HOW LITTLE WATER WE'VE GOT! WE HAVE TO MOVE!"
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:53

*An easterly gale picks up as the Huntress escapes from the docks finally allowing Gideon a modicum of control. He gives the order to fire, singling out the ports fortifications as the target. The Huntress' guns fire in near unison, a bone shaking roar echoes for miles, the starboard guns adding their voices to the cacophony of death and destruction. Their targets and the hidden Naga all receive a deadly hammering from the swaths of round shot descending upon them.*

Last edited by Sir BushWookie on 2017-10-09, 02:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 02:55

the entire port now is aflame, as are many of the docked ships. Gideon is suddenly showered with water as one of the defensive guns misses his ship by mere metres, the impact in the sea sending a gout of water high into the air.

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 03:04

*He ship lists to port as the gale picks up, allowing him to turn with the wind and get his stern carronades on target*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 03:07

another gout of water splashes him as a defensive gun from the other side fires on the ship

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 03:12

*His starboard guns can't return fire with Khalista's ship in the way. But his Stern carronades send a pair of 42lb balls toward a Cannon and level the the tower it was kept in*
Back to top Go down
Captain Raeven

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 03:20

*The jenny lurches free from the sand, bringing about, exposing her broadside towards the ship in the fog* Khalista: "FIRE!" *The jenny's broadside is unleashed. The carronades, and long guns roaring. Seven hundred and twelve pounds of iron pummeling the ship*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 03:22

still no clue as to whether you've even done any damage, but every moment you stay makes it more likely you're dead in the water. Over a dozen ships are already sinking in the port, and the Naga shows no sign of stopping, no matter how many times you fire blindly into the fog at her. (why are you still here :P)

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 03:26

*Khalista aims the bow out to sea after giving the naga a volley. The jenny picks up speed, her large sails and light hull bringing her up to a good rate of knots quickly.*
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 03:30

*The Huntress follows behind Jenny, firing a salvo from her broadside guns into the port to dissuade any return fire as they escape*

OOC: It's 1am and I've found the Patagonia special on Netflix. James May has a Lotus Esprit....it's very pretty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 21:33

the sound of screaming and explosions behind them continues into the night

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 21:38

*Both ships vanish into the mist, sailing eastward and away from the port*
Back to top Go down
Captain Raeven

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 22:12

*the jenny stays close to her companion ship. Reloading her guns, and shifting men to the rear. Her aft armament being two 68-pounder carronades, and two 24 pound long guns. She'll give any pursuers something to consider*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 22:16

before long the lookouts spot a pair of ships, smaller ones, closing in, one from each side. Their intent does not appear to be friendly

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 22:20

*Khalista yells towards gideons ship* "FOLLOW ME TO PORT! WE GIVE THIS ONE THE CHASERS, THEN TURN AND BROADSIDE. IT SHOULD SINK THE BASTARD."
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 22:27

Huntress' Lookout: "SHIPS SIGHTED, 5th RATES TO OUR PORT AND STARBOARD MOVING TO ATTACK CAP'N!"

*Gideon gives the order to load the guns and prepare for battle*

Gideon: *in response* "LEAD THE WAY!"
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 22:43

the ships seem to be closing on the jenny, with uncordial intent

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 22:45

*Khalista swings the jenny around to port, putting her on a straight course towards the port side ship. her fore chasers, a pair of 24 pounder long guns fire. Hurling their shot out towards the encroaching ships.*

Khalista: "RUN UP THE COLOURS!" *Up her mast, a single flag of solid red is raised.*
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 22:49

*The Huntress lumbers behind turning in a slightly wider arc and once in position let's her 18 pounder long guns roar, sending a far more accurate volley into the bow of the enemy vessel. All along the Huntress sides her broadside guns are pushed out. A mix of 24 pounder and 32 pounder long guns adorning her hull*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 23:16

the ships begin to return fire with their prow chasers, closing the gap fast

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 23:24

*The jenny turns, bringing her full broadside to bear against the oncoming port side ship. Still with its prow towards her, the jenny's cannon will travel the full length of the hull. Tearing her apart.*
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 23:32

*The Huntress turns in the opposite direction and presents her broadside, the enemy ship is now trapped bow on to both the Huntress and the Jenny*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 23:41

the other ship begins to close from the starboard side as the port ship continues to fire.

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 23:51

OOC: So does the Jenny have 32 guns in her broadside or in total?

*The Huntress unleashes an 808lb broadside, many of the shots miss but several 32lb balls punch through the ship's bow. Raking the vessel and slaughtering her crew*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-09, 23:59

the ship that is the focus of the firepower is taking longer to destroy than one would expect, but your shots are clearly taking a toll

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:05

*In the 40 seconds it takes Gideon's crew to reload his guns, the Huntress has turned inward slightly so she's parallel to the ship before firing her broadside*
Back to top Go down
Captain Raeven

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:11

OOC: Thirty two long guns in total. Her rating doesnt take into account the carronade. As they dont.

*The jenny's guns are reloading, not wanting to bring her into crossfire of the huntresses guns, she banks to starboard, turning a full 180, to bring her unfired carronade at the portward ship, and her reloading long guns towards the starboard one.*
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:19

OOC: Thought so. So Rae have you heard of a game called Naval Action?
Back to top Go down
Captain Raeven

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:20

OOC: I have indeed.
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:23

the starboard ship begins to fire, as the port one unleashes a broadside at the huntress

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:28

OOC: Thoughts on it?

*The Huntress' hull absorbs most of the impacts but a few carronades punch through, eviscerating some of her crew and knocking a pair of 24 pounders out of action. The next broadside comes barely 30 seconds later and it ignites the enemy 5th rates powder reserves, obliterating the vessel in an explosion that illuminates the night sky and showers the sea around it with wood and body parts*
Back to top Go down
Captain Raeven

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:34

Khalista: "STOP PUTTING HOLES IN MY SHIP!"
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:39

with its compatriot gone, the second ship attempts to disengage

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:40

OOC: She can only turn eastwards, which would leave her open to Jenny's bow chasers and potentially superior speed*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   2017-10-10, 00:41

OOC note the word attempt

PostSubject: Re: An Age of Sails and Free Men   

Back to top Go down

An Age of Sails and Free Men
Page 4 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next